Superfood Oatmeal Breakfast
Oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfast foods for fall and winter. It is also great for a post-workout meal, and it will support and sustain your energy throughout the day. You can modify the ingredients and herbs in this recipe to your palette or match it to your Doshic (Vata, Pitta, or Kapha) digestive needs.
Prepare organic, gluten-free oatmeal to the consistency of your liking. You could also do quinoa, millet or brown rice. In the fall and winter, the warm, moist and heavy nature of oatmeal is good for balancing Vata. In the summer use the lighter grains. To every cup and a half of cooked grain add:
- Add in 1/2 scoop of plant-based plain or vanilla protein powder
- 1 tablespoon of hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Pinch of cardamom, ground ginger
Mix this all together and then mix well into oatmeal.
- 1 teaspoon of ghee or coconut oil (or both)
- Dash of organic 100% pure maple syrup
- Other nutrient-dense toppings: walnuts, brazil nuts, goji berries, cacao, ground flaxseed - be creative!
- A handful of mixed berries and it is ready!!
Healthy Eating Guideline Tip
Before eating always remember to say a prayer or pause with three breaths of gratitude. This practice connects you with the sacredness of food and the ritual of eating. It also tells your digestion to awaken and kick-on. Thoughts and prayers have vibration and energy. Food is made up of water and absorbs the frequency of these intentions. The food we eat becomes the cells in our body. Our body acknowledges that which is Sacred as healing and the food becomes our medicine!